So last week I made the snap decision to cut my hair off.
Okay, it wasn’t snap – I’d been thinking about it for a week or two. My ‘mermaid length’ hair (official definition = going past and/or over your boobs, creating an appropriate amount of coverage for bikini-less/mermaid situations), was getting on my tits (literally). Something had to be done.
And so, to Pinterest I went; instantly (if not perhaps too keenly), I was inspired by the ‘lob’ (aka Long Bob) trend of Autumn 2015. Had I ever followed a trend before with my hair? Nope.
Subject to years of aggressive bleaching trying to achieve the (totally unattainable) ‘platinum blonde’, I had left my hair to do it’s own thang for the past 2 years, resulting in the tangly, hippie-esque mess that was. N liked to describe it as “Anna’s ‘Earth Child’ phase”; a fitting description I’m sure you’ll agree:
All it took was a quick browse on Pinterest, a phone call, a return car journey, and the classic hair salon struggles described below, and alas, my hair is now shorter than it’s been since I was 11 (when I actually did cut all my hair off…).
THE MENTAL PROCESS OF GETTING YOUR HAIR CUT:
- *Sat in hair salon with hairdresser* This feels good – it really feels like she gets what I’m saying! Maybe this won’t be a disaster after all.
- *Sat in chair getting hair coloured* God Damn how can T-section highlights possibly take so long? It’s already been 2 hours and she’s still painting the stuff on!
- *Getting hair washed* Mmm…massages….if only the water was slightly warmer…but that’s okay I know she doesn’t wanna burn me…OWH YOUR NAILS ARE CUTTING INTO MY SCALP! (I won’t say anything, just wince politely).
- *Getting hair cut* Awww bye hair! I am slightly regretting this now…
- *Finishing the cut* Maybe this will all work out. Why was I nervous? I’m gonna look sassy AF.
- *Getting hair dried* This colour is literally the worst. What. the. hell. have. I. done?
- *Seeing cut & colour together* This….is not what I asked for. AT ALL! I won’t say anything though.
- *Having product added to hair* Oh okay…I just need to add product to make it look good. Should I ask her what it is? I bet it’s like £100 a bottle…
- *Being shown hair in the mirror* Right, let me get out of here so that I can sort this shit out for myself. Just stop faffing around and expecting me to fake smile about how much it suits me, let me out!
- *Getting bag & catching self in full-length mirror* Ohhhh okay it’s really not that bad. I kinda like it, question mark?
- *Paying at till* HOW MUCH?? WTF I can’t even see those highlights!! Still, won’t say anything. Will just pay and leave….oh shit, remember a tip too. I don’t even know if I like it, but I sure as Hell won’t be the girl who doesn’t tip.
- *Catching self in window reflection outside* Oh NOW I see the colour. Well, that doesn’t look too bad does it! Better get to the car/public toilets to double check though…
- *In the car* Y’know what, I actually look pretty awesome. Can’t wait to show everyone at work!
- *At work – no one notices*