No one (including my family) seems to understand what I actually do each day for a living.
I’m sure lots of people struggle with this, but it doesn’t help that I’ve recently gone self-employed too, further adding to the mystery. Although when I used to tell people I did ‘Marketing’ I was met with equally confused expressions; literally everyone thinks I just sit on Facebook all day.
Okay, so the problem is I do a lot of different things…
I am a CIM qualified marketer, but on a day to day basis I’m really a copywriter/content marketer, which just means I deal mostly with writing words and formatting them for the correct platform.
- Finding, writing and scheduling content to post on social media channels (yes, fine, that does involve Facebook)
- Creating and managing advertising on social media channels
- Researching, writing, SEO optimising and scheduling blog posts
- Researching, writing and scheduling email newsletters
- Researching, writing and SEO optimising website copy
- Writing press releases and researching press/publicity contacts
- Looking through analytics data to improve all of the above
Brand & Website Design (byRosanna)
This is my business, where I sell packaged design services to small businesses and entrepreneurs, rather than above stuff which is usually on a retainer basis, for example.
- Market myself (ie, do all of the bullet points above, but for my own business)
- Write up contracts, send emails and have Skype meetings
- Use Pinterest and other websites to get inspiration for colour palettes and style
- Use design software like Photoshop and Illustrator to come up with logo designs and other brand collateral (ie, business cards, website graphics)
- Research themes, templates and plugins that will suit the needs of my clients
- Use WordPress or Squarespace to customise chosen themes and tailor them to the clients
FYI, I’m offering 30% off my services for anyone who books in January, if you’re interested ;)
So there you have it. I don’t just sit at home all day playing with the dog (although that does happen quite a bit), I do actually do stuff.
If you want a little back story in how I got into all this as a career, read my ‘Why I Quit University‘ post.